Edward A. Westen, Chair; Joel R. Holst; James M. Miller; Richard D. Peth; Jennifer L. Walker
The Health and Physical Education Department offers a variety of opportunities for possible career choices. Health and physical education programs are oriented toward the teaching profession and culminate in a student-teaching experience. The fitness management program prepares graduates to work in hospital wellness programs, health and fitness clubs, and corporate fitness programs. This program culminates with an internship experience.
- To prepare students to become quality physical education teachers through the acquisition of knowledge pertaining to the general functioning of the human body and fitness testing.
- To prepare students to become quality fitness/wellness professionals through the acquisition of knowledge pertaining to the general functioning of the human body and fitness testing.
- To develop an appreciation of the role of physical activity in the balance of life through physical education and fitness/wellness programs.
- To prepare students to successfully complete their student teaching and/or internship experience, where they can start to display and incorporate the values and ethics of their profession.
Intended Student Learning Outcomes
- develop and implement fitness programs specific to client goals, age, gender, fitness level, and physical limitations.
- explain and demonstrate a broad range of assessment procedures utilized in the fitness environment.
- use appropriate strategies to motivate clients to adopt healthier behaviors.
- effectively instruct clients how to perform safe and effective exercise technique.
- identify critical elements of motor skill performance and combine skills into appropriate sequences for the purpose of skill improvement.
- describe performance concepts and strategies related to skillful movement and physical activity.
- utilize a variety of formal and informal assessment techniques to assess a learner's performance, provide feedback, and communicate learner progress.
- design and implement sequential learning experiences that are safe, appropriate, relevant, realistic, and based on principles of effective instruction.
Major in Physical Education
For additional information on teaching majors and endorsements, see Education Department listings.